Work as an International Student

Students can start working in Canada at the commencement of the respective study program. Students are not allowed to work before the study program begins. An international student in Canada can work if the study permit lists a condition that mentions working on or off-campus.

Work in school campus is allowed when the post-secondary student is in:

  • Public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec.
  • Private college-level schools in Quebec operate under the same rules as public schools and are at least 50% funded by government grants.
  • Canadian private schools that can legally award degrees under provincial law.

The student must have a valid study permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN).