Student Visa

Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while or after your graduation.

Study Permit

The study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLIs) in Canada. All students must make sure to acquire all the documents needed before applying and travelling to Canada.

A study permit is not a visa which means the a visitor visa or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a necessity. If a study permit is issued, a visa or eTA will also be issued along with it. A study permit is usually valid for the length of the study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days is to prepare for leaving or to apply for an extension in Canada. If you leave Canada during your studies, you will need to make sure you meet all the requirements to return to Canada.

Study Permit Extension

The expiry date on your study permit tells you when you have to end and leave Canada. This date is usually the span of your study program, plus 90 days. The additional 90 days give you time to prepare to leave Canada or extend your stay in Canada.

To extend your study permit and continue studying, you need to know:

–       When to apply for a study permit extension at least 30 days before your study permit expires.

–       What to do if your permit expires.

To continue staying in Canada when your study permit expires, you will need to apply for a new study permit to restore the status as a temporary resident.

Study in Canada as a Minor Child

A minor child can study in Canada even if they are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

The age when a person becomes an adult differs in each province and territory and is known as the age of majority. A person under the age of majority is referred to as a “minor child”.

Province or territory Age of Majority
Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince, Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan 18
British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, Yukon 19

Caring for a minor child in Canada

The parents or legal guardians must prove the minor child will have the care and support they need during their stay in Canada.

Minor children under the age of 17 must either:

  • Come with their parent or legal guardian or
  • Have a custodian in Canada

A custodian will support or care for the minor child, and they must be a Canadian citizen or a PR holder. A custodian is optional for minors of 17 years and above, and an officer can still request a custodian, depending on the case.

Student Direct Stream (SDS) – Get your study permit faster

Study permits can be received faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS), depending on the location. Most of these applications are processed within 20 days, and however, some applications may take longer.

For faster SDS processing, the candidate must:

  •     Give biometrics
  •     Eligibility requirements

Please note a study permit is not a visa and will not allow the individual to travel or enter Canada. A visitor visa or eTA will be issued along with the study permit.