Open Work Permit

Requirements for applicants to be eligible for an open work permit are:

  • Must graduate from a designated learning institution to be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
  • Should be a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student).
  • Have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused concerning your job in Canada.
  • Applied for PR in Canada.
  • A dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence.
  • Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
  • Spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
  •  Refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member.
  •   If under an unenforceable removal order.
  •    A temporary resident permit holder.
  • Young workers participating in special programs

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

Bridging Open Work Permit

A bridging open work permit (BOWP) allows the candidate to continue working while waiting for the approval of the applied PR application.