Requirements for applicants to be eligible for an open work permit are:
- Must graduate from a designated learning institution to be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
- Should be a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student).
- Have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused concerning your job in Canada.
- Applied for PR in Canada.
- A dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence.
- Spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.
- Spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program.
- Refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member.
- If under an unenforceable removal order.
- A temporary resident permit holder.
- Young workers participating in special programs
In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.
Bridging Open Work Permit
A bridging open work permit (BOWP) allows the candidate to continue working while waiting for the approval of the applied PR application.